a.k.a. Moss Rose
Portulaca grandiflora, P. oleracea
13 Portulaca Seed Varieties from 3 Outstanding Series:
TOUCAN SERIESPortulaca Seeds
These succulent beauties are heat and drought tolerant and low maintenance, forming easy to grow carpets of brilliant color 3-4 inches high, 14-16 inches across. The Toucans produce droves of dazzling 2 inch flowers throughout the summer and are an outstanding temporary ground cover, or use them to brighten mixed borders, patio pots or hanging baskets. No pinching required.
HAPPY HOUR SERIESPortulaca Seeds
'Happy Hour' portulacas can bloom up to two weeks earlier than other portulaca series, and the plants grow fuller, with mounding growth from 8-10 inches tall, and 10-12 inches wide. The large, vivid, semi-double flowers begin blooming in late spring, and continue throughout the summer. Excellent in containers, great for massing in the landscape, or edging mixed borders. Plants flourish in hot, dry, sunny conditions.
SUNDIAL SERIESPortulaca Seeds
Trailing 6 inch plants provide great quantities of lustrous, roselike blooms from early summer until frost. Excellent for containers or edging borders and it thrives in hot, dry conditions.
Flowers in shades of cream, gold, pink, peach, yellow, tangerine, fuchsia, mango, scarlet, peppermint and white.
How to Plant PORTULACA Seeds
- Sow seed in cell packs or individual pots, press into soil but do not cover.
- Needs light to germinate.
- Kept at 75-80° degrees F., germination is in 7-14 days.
- Transplant into the garden 5-8 inches apart.
- Raw (non-pelleted) seed can be started indoors (especially in cool climates) 6-8 weeks before transplanting, or direct sow after all danger of frost.
- Pelleted seed is for easy and efficient indoor sowing.
Comments: Full Sun. Tolerates heat and drought, looks best with occasional water. Any soil with good drainage, thrives in sandy or gravelly soils. Can be cut back in summer to keep plants neat and to extend bloom into fall. Low maintenance, no deadheading required.